Khalil Mack Ties Howie Longs’ Raiders Franchise Sack Record With Five

Photo By Shawn Jonas

DENVER, CO. – Defensive End Khalil Mack tied a franchise record and set a career high with five sacks, matching Howie Long’s five sacks on Oct. 2, 1983.

Mack Also goes into Sunday night leading the NFL in sacks with 14. Before J.J. Watt battles the Patriots on NBC’s Sunday Night Football he has a total of 13.5 sacks

Mack is the sixth NFL player since sacks became official in 1982 to record five sacks and one forced fumble in a game. The last player to do so was Aldon Smith for the San Francisco 49ers in 2012.
The only other Raider with four sacks and a forced fumble in a single game was Anthony Smith on Oct. 18, 1992 (two forced fumbles).

Oakland Raiders Sign WR Michael Crabtree To Four-Year Contract Extension

Photos by Shawn Jonas

ALAMEDA, Calif. – The Oakland Raiders have signed free agent WR Michael Crabtree to a four-year contract extension, the club announced Wednesday.

Crabtree joined the Raiders as an unrestricted free agent this past offseason from the San Francisco 49ers. So far this season, Crabtree has played in all 12 games for the Silver and Black, totaling 66 receptions for 760 yards (11.5 avg.) and seven touchdowns. His 66 receptions and seven touchdowns lead the team, and he has posted three 100-yard receiving games.

For his career, Crabtree has totaled 91 games played with 88 starts, 413 receptions for 5,087 yards (12.3 avg.) and 33 touchdowns. Additionally, he has posted 40 catches for 516 yards and four touchdowns in eight postseason games. Crabtree has recorded at least one catch in all 91 games played and at least three receptions in 78 of those games.

The Dallas, Texas, native was originally drafted by the 49ers in the first round (10th overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft out of Texas Tech. Crabtree was a two-time winner (2007, 2008) of the Fred Biletnikoff Award, given annually to the nation’s top wide receiver. The two-time All-American finished his two-year career at Texas Tech with 231 receptions for 3,127 yards and 41 touchdowns.

Press Release Courtesy of the Oakland Raiders Media Relations

Sacramento Republic FC Sign Goalkeeper Evan Newton; Former San Jose Earthquakes Player Returns To California

SACRAMENTO, Calif.Sacramento Republic FC have agreed to a contract with goalkeeper Evan Newton. The goalkeeper returns to California for the first time since playing with the San Jose Earthquakes from 2012-2013.

“Evan is someone we have had our eye on,” said Head Coach and Technical Director Paul Buckle. “He had other options, so we couldn’t be more thrilled that a player of his experience is joining us. We have two really good experienced goalkeepers to work with next season. He will fit in perfectly with Dom and the two will work brilliantly together in the 2016 campaign. We welcome Evan to the club.”

Newton spent the last two seasons in the USL, playing the 2015 season with Oklahoma City Energy FC and the 2014 season with Arizona United SC. Newton has appeared in 55 matches, recording 200 saves and allowing 80 goals. In 2015, Newton’s 1.22 GAA ranked third among goalies with 2,000 or more minutes played.

“Sacramento is a top level club both on and off the field,” said Newton. “I’m really excited and blessed to join Republic FC and look forward to playing in front of some amazing fans and working to bring another championship to the capital city.”

Newton was the all-time leader in saves (254) and shutouts (36) at Old Dominion University and helped lead the Monarchs to three NCAA Championship berths. He began his professional career with the Houston Dynamo before signing with the San Jose Earthquakes, where he spent two seasons.

Earlier today, Republic FC stated that they have declined the option on 2015 goalkeeper Patrick McLain’s contract. Sacramento Republic FC training camp will commence on February 1, 2016. For more information, including Newton’s full bio, visit SacRepublicFC.com.

Press Release Courtesy of the Sacramento Republic FC Media Relations

Sacramento Republic FC Re-Sign Midfielder Danny Barrera

SACRAMENTO, Calif.  – Sacramento Republic FC reached an agreement with Danny Barrera to retain the midfielder on the club’s roster for the 2016 season. Barrera originally joined the club midway through the 2015 season.

“I am thrilled that Danny has committed to the club,” said Head Coach and Technical Director Paul Buckle. “I feel that he is someone that showed us going into the end of last season what he can do. He is a central player for us in the midfield, a creative player. He has flourished and played nearly every match for us since joining the club. He is someone that is capable of unlocking defenses and continuing his career to play at an even higher division.”

Barrera signed with Republic FC on June 6, 2015, appearing in 20 matches, including 16 USL starts and the club’s lone 2015 playoff match. Barrera recorded two goals and three assists in his 1,128 USL minutes and scored his first goal with Sacramento Republic FC, a match-winning goal, against Arizona United SC on June 13, 2015.

Prior to joining Republic FC, Barrera spent three seasons in the NASL, appearing in over 50 matches for the Atlanta Silverbacks, San Antonio Scorpions and Carolina Railhawks from 2012-2015. He scored seven NASL goals. Barrera also appeared in 45 matches for the Ventura County Fusion, scoring 13 goals during his time with the PDL club. As a collegiate player, Barrera appeared in 66 matches for UC Santa Barbara from 2008-2010, scoring 10 goals and recording 22 assists. Republic FC defender James Kiffe and Barrera were teammates for the Gauchos in the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

Sacramento Republic FC training camp will commence on February 1, 2016. For more information, including Barrera’s full bio, visit SacRepublicFC.com.

Press Release Courtesy of the Sacramento Republic FC

Oakland Raiders Sign FB/RB Jamize Olawale To Three-Year Extension

Photos by Shawn Jonas

ALAMEDA, Calif. – The Oakland Raiders have signed FB/RB Jamize Olawale (juh-MAZE oh-lah-WALL-ee) to a three-year contract extension, the club announced Tuesday.

Olawale has played in 45 career games – all for the Raiders – over four seasons and has posted 29 carries for 116 yards and 1 touchdown to go along with 20 receptions for 151 yards and two touchdowns. He has also served as a key special teams player for the Silver and Black, playing on all special teams units and totaling 22 tackles.

The Raiders signed the 6-foot-1, 240-pounder from the Dallas Cowboys’ practice squad in December 2012 after he originally entered the NFL with Dallas as an undrafted free agent earlier that year.

Olawale played two years at North Texas, where he saw action in 19 games as a wide receiver, following his transfer from El Camino Junior College in Torrance, Calif. A Bay Area native, Olawale attended three total high schools in Northern and Southern California.

Press Release Courtesy of the Oakland Raiders Media Relations

Sacramento Kings Willie Cauley-Stein Injury Update

Sacramento Kings center Willie Cauley-Stein sustained an open dislocation of his right index finger late in the fourth quarter tonight against the Boston Celtics in Mexico City.

After evaluation by Kaiser Permanente doctors on site, it was determined that Cauley-Stein will miss approximately 4-6 weeks of action.

Press Release Courtesy of the Sacramento Kings Media Relations

Sacramento Republic FC To Host Colorado Rapids In Friendly Match On February 13

Friendly match will take place at Bonney Field and will be a part of the 2016 Season Ticket Package

SACRAMENTO, Calif.Sacramento Republic FC and the Colorado Rapids (MLS) will face off in a friendly match at Bonney Field on February 13, 2016. The match will be included in the Sacramento Republic FC season ticket package. Kickoff time will be announced at a later date.

“We are honored to host the Colorado Rapids, one of MLS’s most storied clubs and MLS Cup winner,” said Sacramento Republic FC President Warren Smith. “After hosting the Rapids reserve squad for the 2014 season, we are honored to now host their first team and compete at a higher level. This friendly not only provides our fans with the opportunity to watch Sacramento Republic FC play an MLS club, but supports the Rapids and our team as they prepare for the 2016 season.”

Founded in 1996, the Colorado Rapids were one of the original ten MLS franchises and have been one of the league’s most successful clubs, winning the MLS Cup in 2010, reaching the MLS Cup in 1997 and qualifying for the MLS playoffs in 12 of their 20 seasons. The Rapids also hosted the 2015 AT&T MLS All-Star Game this past July.

Sacramento Republic FC is an incredible organization and one of the best-run clubs in USL,” said Colorado Rapids President, Tim Hinchey. “It is essential that we begin our year on the right foot and I believe this friendly match will do just that. I am confident that Sacramento Republic FC will help us prepare as we look ahead towards the 2016 season.”

Sacramento Republic FC played the Colorado Rapids Reserves in the inaugural match at Bonney Field on June 20, 2014. Sacramento Republic FC came away with a 4-3 victory and Justin Braun scored the first Sacramento Republic FC goal in Bonney Field history. Five players from the Rapids Reserve team that played Sacramento Republic FC were members of the 2015 Rapids, including goal scorers Gabriel Torres, Charles Eloundou and Marlon Hairston who recorded an assist.

Today marks the third anniversary of the club’s founding. On December 3, 2012, the club and USL announced Sacramento as an expansion city. The club celebrates the anniversary each year with significant news or an event, including today’s announcement of the Rapids friendly.

Sacramento Republic FC will begin their 2016 training camp on February 1, 2016. Additional details on kick off times and tickets to be released in January 2016. For more information on the 2016 season, visit SacRepublicFC.com.

Press Release Courtesy of the Sacramento Republic FC Media Relations

Sacramento City Council Approves MLS Stadium Plan By Unanimous Vote

Authorization of Preliminary Term Sheet marks successful completion of Operation Turnkey one month early.

SACRAMENTO, CA – Tonight, the Sacramento City Council voted 8-0 to approve a preliminary term sheet for a $226 million public-private partnership to build and finance a new MLS stadium at The Railyards in downtown Sacramento.

“Once again, Sacramento has delivered,” said Kevin Nagle, Managing Partner of SSEH. “Operation Turnkey is officially complete and we have this entire community to thank. Our fans are ready. Our stadium plan is ready. Our ownership is ready. I could not be more proud of a community that is proving time and again that Sacramento is built for MLS.”

The vote marks the culmination of Operation Turnkey, an initiative launched in spring 2015 to enhance Sacramento’s bid to secure MLS rights and put Sacramento in position to begin construction of a soccer specific stadium immediately once an MLS franchise is secured. The plan called for the completion of five key activities by December 31, 2015 that would position Sacramento to be “turnkey ready” to build a new MLS stadium, should MLS decide to award an expansion franchise to Sacramento.

The preliminary term sheet sets forth a detailed framework on key items of the stadium plan, including: location, financing, ownership, design, development, construction, operation, use and occupancy, and maintenance and repairs.

Highlights of the term sheet included:
· SSEH will own and operate the approximately 450,000 square foot stadium at the northeast corner of The Railyards site
· The stadium will have a capacity of 25,000 seats, including 3,100 premium seats, and a dedicated “supporter section”
· Programming will include home MLS matches, friendlies, concerts, festivals and other sporting, family and civic events
· SSEH will arrange for a minimum of 6,500 parking spaces
· The stadium will have close proximity to light rail and the Sacramento Valley Station
· SSEH will fully finance the estimated $180 million in stadium project costs
· The City and other public agencies are committing the estimated $46 million in backbone infrastructure already completed (e.g. roads, sidewalks utilities, etc) on the site, which has been long envisioned as a perfect site for a catalyst project such as a soccer stadium
· There is no new public funding being committed
· SSEH will assume full responsibility for site assembly, predevelopment costs, cost overruns, municipal services and capital repairs
· SSEH will request to host an MLS All-Star Game within three years of the stadium opening

According to the City analysis, the project will generate as much as $341 million in economic output during construction and as many as 2,628 jobs. The analysis forecasts additional economic impact spurred in the surrounding area.

To drive the stadium development process, SSEH hired Legends as project manager and HNTB as lead architect. Preliminary renderings of the MLS Stadium were released earlier today and available for viewing at BuiltforSacramento.com. At the current pace of development, the new MLS stadium could open as early as March 2018.

While the term sheet is preliminary and non-binding, it serves as a good faith agreement and guideline for the preparation of definitive agreements between the City and SSEH for the development of the stadium, subject to all environmental considerations. The Preliminary Term Sheet will only become effective if MLS awards an expansion team and SSEH consummates the acquisition of the team.

To learn more on Sacramento’s efforts to secure MLS rights, visit SacRepublicFC.com.

Press Release Courtesy of the Sacramento Republic FC Media Realtions