BAKERSFIELD, Calif. – Stockton finished the weekend with three of a possible four points against Bakersfield after dropping a 4-3 shootout decision Saturday at Mechanics Bank Arena. Eetu Tuulola notched his second-straight multi-point effort for the Heat and Martin Pospisil potted his second professional goal, but the Condors were able to come from behind in their winning effort to snap a 10-game losing streak. Heat captain Byron Froese reached the 40-point mark for the season with an assist on Austin Czarnik’s tally to put Stockton ahead 1-0 early, the third time in four years that Froese has reached that mark.
A back-and-forth affair, the Condors scored the next two before Pospisil and Tuulola scored, respectively, to give Stockton a 3-2 edge. Jake Kulevich’s marker with just over 12 seconds left in the second tied the game at three, a score that lasted through the final horn of regulation. Following a scoreless overtime period, both netminders were strong in the shootout with Artyom Zagidulin turning away three of four shots faced and Shane Starrett stopping all four.
W: Shane Starrett (31 shots, 28 saves; 4 SOA, 4 SOSvs)
SOL: Artyom Zagidulin (36 shots, 33 saves; 4 SOA, 3 SOSvs)
Three Stars: First – Kirill Maksimov (so g), Second – Jake Kulevich (1g), Third – Colby Cave (1g)
Shots On Goal: STK – 31, BAK – 37
Power Plays: STK – 0-3, BAK – 1-2
– Byron Froese reached the 40-point mark for the third time in four seasons, registering his 40th point on an assist on the game’s opening goal by Austin Czarnik.
– The marker for Czarnik was his second in as many nights and 16th on the year.
– Martin Pospisil potted his second professional goal, with Adam Ruzicka collecting an assist on each.
– Eetu Tuulola has goals and multi-point efforts in back-to-back games for the first time in his career.
– Matt Marcinew made his Stockton debut in the game.
– The Heat earned three of a possible four points against the Condors over the weekend.
The Heat return home for a Tuesday tilt with San Jose, the first of three games next week at Stockton Arena.
Match Recap Courtesy of the Stockton Heat Media Relations